"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Friday, April 4, 2008

"teacher! teacher!"

i'm not really good in English. i mispell words, i have wrong grammar and i pronounce some words wrongly. but that doesn't stop me for doing something like writing and now, teaching english to koreans.

yep! im an english tutor! haha! im tutoring a 21 year old korean girl and a 17 year old boy. im having so much fun with the girl coz, all we do is talk! she doesn't want a book, she wants to share stories. so it's not much of a hassle to me since we could talk about alot of things. but it's different with the boy coz i should teach him grammar. CORRECT GRAMMAR! like, how am i supposed to do that if i can't even remember my lessons back in high school!?!

but then, i was given a book. and when i scanned it, it talks bout present simple, past continuous, modal verbs, gerunds, passive, quantifiers, nouns, articles.... WHAT?! seriously, i can't remember anything. now i should have listened to my english teachers. grrrr...

so now, while im teaching, im also learning. i can't afford to teach them wrong english grammar. so i have to strive too.

my mom was a filipino teacher. i've been in her classes. she brings me along when i was a kid and when i got older, i'd visit her in her school and observe. i can say she LOVES it! she loves to teach! she loves interacting with her students and helping them. i admire my mom a lot! but i don't really like her profession.

standing infront of room full of noisy students. teaching them over and over again. reminding of their lessons. checking their homeworks and test papers, computing their grades and trying to discipline them is such a tiring job.

i know what im doing is different from my mom's. i only tutor 1 person/hr and my mom teaches a bunch of kids for a whole day! but we both teach.

i never really thought that i would love what im doing now. yes, i suck in grammar but im learning together with my student. and i think its great! coz i don't feel like its work. im having so much fun that i don't care if i don't know how to explain the lesson to them anymore or if im thirsty already or if im getting tired from all the talking. im just loving it!

plus, i like the way they say "teacher! teacher!" hahaha! we're almost of the same age but hearing them call me that, feels nice. im still a college student but they're calling me teacher! hahah! idk. i just find it cute.. well, im shallow. what can i say? =)


No comments: