"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Friday, October 22, 2010

Mr. Pineapple and Ms. Raisins

I eat everything. Of course those are edible. Ok, not exactly everything. There are some foods that I can’t eat. Not that I’m allergic or is not allowed by my religion (I’m a Roman Catholic) but because I don’t like it. But majority of the foods around, I can swallow. I’ve tried eating exotic foods, too. Like, farm frog, duck egg (we call it Balot here in the Philippines), fried grasshopper, snake and a monitor lizard. Its either fried or adobo (where you put soy sauce and vinegar). I love trying out foods. I love to explore and get to know one’s culture through the food they eat. I’m like so far away from what I wanna talk about. But it’s the same. I was talking about food. It’s just I want to focus more on pineapples and raisins.

I used to sneak in my grandparents’ kitchen just to get a small box of Sun-Maid raisins. I just love to munch away with it upon waking up from a nap. Thing is it’s my Lola’s favorite so I have to be discreet. I can’t really take a box unless there are a lot of them. if not, then I’ll end up just taking a few pieces. My Lolo would even tell me that its a goats poop. wel, it kinda looks like one. haha! but i still love them. I’m all smiles whenever my Mom would buy a box. It’s what I would bring in school and eat during recess. I was famous! Because most kids in my class doesn’t really know about raisins may be because it’s not really a kid’s food. I was around 4-5 years old at that time.



And here comes Mr. Pineapple. Laugh at me now but my first encounter with him was in a can (I’m not really sure how old I was that time). And yep! Del Monte baby! I just love opening those cans and pouring everything on a bowl especially when its cold. when i was older, around 17, while studying in Bohol, i would spend my weekends at my cousins house. there, my uncle would always munch on pineapples or watermelons or apples.. i was reunited with my love, Mr. Pineapple during my stay in Bohol. and this time, Mr. Salt joined our company. my uncle introduced me to him and im glad he did. our journey got better!



I'm in love of these two. reminds me of old days. simple pleasures in life. BUT! yes, there's a BUT.. i like to eat my Mr and Ms as it is. I don't like Hawaiian Pizzas, or any dishes that has pineapple on it. you'll see me piling pineapples on the side just because. i have the same drama with raisins. i don't like it mixed with my food. pile pile pile em all on the side. like i loathe them so much to ignore their yummyness. like they've betrayed me and they're unforgivable. i know it's not their fault to be mixed with other food but whatever!

why am i writing this? well, i ate some del monte pineapple tidbits (free advertising) earlier while watching Modern Family. and it brought me back to memory lane and made me realize how weird i am for going crazy over it but hating it when it's mixed. oh well, im like that.

No comments: