"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Friday, April 30, 2010

I AM A PROUD "NANING"

In my almost 7 years in college, this summer is the only time I’ve ever been to the library every single day! This is the only time you would see my name scribbled on the library’s logbook. This is the only time I’ve borrowed books and actually read them and used them for my papers. This is the only time I’ve rushed to the library right after class just to make sure I get the best book first. This is the only time I really cared to use the APA format for my citation and references. This is the only time I’ve really scanned 1 bookshelf over and over again just to make sure I didn’t miss the book I needed.

And I actually love it! Nerd much? I don’t know. Maybe? And I don’t care. In school, people call it “being naning” or just “naning”. It’s actually, “naningkamot” which means, being determined. There’s really nothing wrong about it but in school, when you hear people saying or calling you that, you would also see them laughing or sneering at you. It’s positive to be that but peel of the outer layer and it’s negative. People just don’t want to admit it. But that’s exactly how it feels. Like you’re being ridiculed and like you’re stupid for being smart to ace every exam and get the approvals of the teachers.

Yes! I’ve been called “naning” a lot of times just because I passed my homework in time or for having 5 pages for my journal entry or for being ready for a presentation. I’ve been called “naning” just because I was early in school or because, I actually bought a book to help me with the course I’m taking. I hated it! I don’t want to be called a “naning” because I’m not. I skip class, I get low scores in quizzes, I pass some projects late, I’m sometimes late for 30mins in a 1-hour class, I don’t follow rules, I stay in the library to chat with my friends and even sleep! But people in school would still insist. They say I’m always on the go, like throw everything to me, I’ll do it. Give me anything and I’m still going to impress you with the result even if I don’t have 24hours to get ready.

And it’s just now that I realized that they’re right. No matter how I defy the teacher or how they teach the lesson or throw us hard projects and give us lil time to finish it, I’m still going to do it and just give my best shot. I am “naning”. A nerd. A dork. A geek without glasses and suspenders. I’m a “naning” and I’m helping change its image in school. I’m a “naning” in tank top, skinny jeans, gladiator sandals, a big sunglasses and a big bag. I’m a “naning” who brings Glamour magazine in school, lets her hair down, texts in the middle of the class, is on facebook everynight and tweets a lot.

So to all“nanings” out there, let’s show them what we got and let them realize that being “naning” is the new COOL!



in the middle during a SPEDers activity






quiz bee during COEDSO days with Jeph and Joy







cramming on a Math homework






my groups booth (focused on Hearing Impaired) during COEDSO days 2009. i was one of the coordinator :)

No comments: